In the news, you can regularly see reports about the seizure of illegally purchased weapons from citizens. Many owners are irresponsible about the rules for storing weapons and supplies to them, which is a danger to others. Illegal possession of firearms is a criminal offense. What is the penalty if you are found to have illegally purchased weapons?
PENALTY FOR THE ILLEGAL POSESSION OF WEAPONS
to answer this question, let's turn to the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation.
According to Federal law No. 150-FZ " on weapons»:
Weapons - devices and items that are structurally designed to hit a live or other target, or to send signals.
Firearms - weapons intended for mechanical destruction of a target at a distance by throwing equipment that receives directed movement due to the energy of a powder or other charge.
The law also specifies that the components of weapons are also included in this definition.
The article of the Criminal code of the Russian Federation on illegal possession of weapons applies to firearms. According to article 222 of the criminal code of the Russian Federation, punishment can be incurred for illegal acquisition, transfer, sale, storage, transportation or carrying of firearms, their main parts, ammunition.
Article: Legal self-defense weapons
Illegal carrying and transportation of weapons
To clarify the Criminal code, we`ll refer to the Decision of the Plenum of the Supreme Court of the Russian Federation.
- Illegal carrying of firearms, their main parts, ammunition, explosives or explosive devices should be understood as their presence in clothing or directly on the body of the perpetrator, as well as carrying in a bag, briefcase, etc.items.
- illegal storage of firearms, their main parts, ammunition, explosives or explosive devices should be understood as hiding these items in premises, caches, as well as in other places that ensure their safety.
- Illegal transportation of the same items means their movement by any type of transport.
Illegal possession of firearms. Liability for illegal possession of weapons
for illegal possession of weapons, a citizen is entitled to:
- imprisonment for a term of up to four years with a fine of up to eighty thousand rubles or in the amount of the convicted person's salary or other income for a period of up to three months or without it. - restriction of freedom for a term of up to three years, or
- forced labor for up to four years, or
- arrest for up to six months.
Illegal possession of weapons by prior agreement is punishable:
- imprisonment for a term of two to six years with a fine of up to one hundred thousand rubles or in the amount of the convicted person's salary or other income for a period of up to six months or without it.
Acts committed by the group are punished:
- imprisonment for a term of five to eight years with a fine in the amount of one hundred thousand to two hundred thousand rubles or in the amount of the salary or other income of the convicted person for a period of one year to eighteen months or without it.
According To 222 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation, if a citizen surrendered a weapon or ammunition to it voluntarily, he is released from liability.
The surrender of weapons is not considered voluntary if it is made during the detention of a person or during the detection of weapons by law enforcement agencies.
Illegal possession of traumatic, gas or cold weapons
there is no criminal liability for storing these types of weapons. A citizen can receive a fine for storing and carrying these types of weapons.
Article: Prohibited self-defense weapons
Federal law No. 150-FZ "on weapons", article 6, sets out, among other things, prohibitions on:
- carrying and transporting weapons when loaded
- sending weapons
- carrying weapons during rallies, street marches, demonstrations, picketing, and other mass public events.
Article: Exceeding the necessary self-defense
if you are planning to purchase a weapon, study the requirements for its purchase, storage, and use, as well as learn about the responsibility for non-compliance with these requirements.